Glenn Shadix, best known for his role as Otho, the eccentric, effeminate interior designer in Tim Burton’s gothic ghost picture “Beetlejuice” (1998), died Tuesday morning following a fall at his Birmingham, Al condo, a family member told The Birmingham News.
Shadix was a respected and prolific character actor having appeared in more than 70 films and TV shows. He was 58.
“He was having mobility problems, and he was in a wheelchair,” Susan Gagne, Shadix’s sister, told al.com. “It looks like he fell and hit his head in the kitchen, and that’s the cause of death.”
In addition to his memorable role in “Beetlejuice,” Shadix voiced the mayor character in “The Nightmare Before Christmas” in 1993 and played the orangutan Senator Nado in the 2001 remake of the sci-fi classic “Planet of the Apes,” both Tim Burton films. His notable television roles include Jerry’s landlord in “Seinfeld” and a role in HBO’s “Carnivàle.”
- ‘Farah Goes Bang’ writer/director awarded Norah Ephron Prize at Tribeca
- Focus Features picks up Jean-Marc Vallee’s ‘Dallas Buyers Club’
- Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4 billion, plans ‘Star Wars 7′ for 2015
- Kelly Marcel to write screenplay for adaptation of ‘Fifty Shads of Grey’
- Online critics announce nominees for 2011 OFCS Awards